Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
Welcome to the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group. We are a not-for-profit organization based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that provides collaboration resources, including mailing lists, monthly presentations and quarterly installfests, for Linux users of all backgrounds.
See our about page for more background on us, Linux, and other Free and Open Source software.
We're working hard at developing our organization. If you think you can help, we'd appreciate any ideas you have. We'd like to hear your thoughts: What does Western PA need out of WPLUG? What do you need out of WPLUG? Join the list and tell us!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 8p to 9p - "Meet the Candidates" IRC Session, freenode.net, #wplug channel
- Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 2pm to 5pm - General User Meeting/Elections at Panera Bread Galleria. Topic: Doubleheader - The Arduino Embedded Device by Robert Blackwell and Introduction to Objective-C by Mark Dalrymple.
Upcoming Related Events
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your event posted here.
Feel free to see the past related events page for examples of what we have done in the past.
For information on previous meetings, please see the past meetings page. If you are new to WPLUG, this will give you an idea of WPLUGs activity level and what sort of things we do.
WPLUG provides a variety of online resources to its members and the community at large, in fact, you're looking at one of these resources right now -- the WPLUG wiki. We provide these resources as a way for our members to help each other, spread the word about Linux and other open source, and generally just socialize.
- Mailing Lists - The WPLUG mailing lists are a big part of our community. We have specific lists for many different issues, ranging from general announcements, to jobs, to people trying to sell stuff in our marketplace.
- Membership - Become a member of the hottest Linux Users Group in Western PA.
- Internet Relay Chat - This is a realtime chat facility that we operate on the FreeNode IRC network. At times this can be a very good way to get information.
- Certification Study Group - A self-study group is forming for participants to assist each other in obtaining Linux certification.
- The Open Pitt - The official newsletter of WPLUG.
- Linkedin - A professional networking group currently being explored by many WPLUG members.
- Ohio Linux Presentations - Recordings of presentations at the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest held September 25 and 26, 2009 in Columbus OH. The theme was "40 years of UNIX."
- CPOSC Talks - Slides from Central PA Open Source Conference held October 17, 2009 at Harrisburg University. Attendance about 150.
- Other Interesting Organizations - There is a lot of tech in Pittsburgh. Go and explore!
- ByLaws - How is WPLUG governed.
- Special Rules of Order - Additional rules to cover some specifics not in the bylaws
- Meeting Checklist - this is what needs to be done for each meeting and the responsibilities of each person.
- Venues - information on meeting and event venues.
- Financial Documents - links to the forms and instructions from the WPLUG treasurer.
- Committee Information - Listing of WPLUG Committees and members
- Board Information - information on meetings of the WPLUG board
- Election Instructions - Details of how to vote using WPLUG's system for board elections
- Historical Documents - Organizational materials that are kept for future reference
- Inventory - Stuff that belongs to WPLUG - who has it and where
- TODO - Things that need to be done on the wiki
- Wilkins School Network - Design, Deploy and Maintain a network for the Wilkin School Community Center
- InstallFest Services - InstallFest Services
- MediaWiki - WPLUG website
- there is interest in a new users' sig
- WPLUG SETI@home Team - Our team to assist with experiments for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
- WPLUG Rosetta@home Team - Team to "help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases."
- BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
Order clothing and other cool stuff with the WPLUG logo from CafePress.