Linux Cert Study Group A group within WPLUG interested in preparing for some sort of Certification (Redhat, LPI, etc.)
A mailing list has been set up on FreeLists for the group. Messages for the list can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (you must be subscribed to post).
- Redhat Training RHCE
- LPI Linux Prep
- LPI Exam Emulation
- LPI Exam Information
- Exam Prep Book
- LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)
- Certification Magazine
- Test King
- Cram Session
- David Horton's LPI Self-Study Guide
- Watch out for brain dump test prep sites
- elpicx Live CD for LPI preparation - See Distrowatch for a screenshot and some discussion. Note: do not use the ISO download link from Distrowatch (server overloaded), see the elpicx site for mirrors.
- News article about online LPIC-1 training from the University of Buffalo
- BSD Certifications Group
Certification Test Facilities:
Riverhead Training offers the Linux+ and LPI exams.
Also, Red Hat's courses (and exams) are hosted by Riverhead Training (www.riverheadtraining.com) in downtown Pittsburgh. Red Hat is somewhat unique in the industry in that their adminster their exams themselves and not thru an independent channel such as VUE or Prometric.
The RHCT/RHCE certification has historically be the most highly touted but it's starting to decline and the LPI certifications are catching up.
PC Laboratory Facilities:
The following facilities have been offered for labs:
- Newport Business Institute Lower Burrel - Mike Griffin
- ProTech Training, Monroeville - Scott McFall
- Zion Christian Church, Carrick, Pittsburgh, South Hills - Greg Simkins
Please list ideas for labs:
- We could get a group together to install Edubuntu and Linux Terminal Server Project at Zion Christian Church. This would be ideal for these PCs which are a few years old at this point. We have an old NT server which we could reinstall as the Terminal Server and we could configure the PCs to boot over the network and load the OS, etc.
- The Brookline Library has a nice meeting room with Internet access, although for a lab environment you would need to set up/tear down for each meeting. The latest they are open is 7pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.
For more information on the Linux Cert Study Group, contact Greg Simkins