Wilkins School Network
WPLUG has formed a project under the supervision of the Wilkins School Technical Committee to design, deploy and maintain a computer network for Internet access at the Wilkin School Community Center.
The Wilkins School is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization supporting WPLUG for our meetings and events, as well as numerous community events and classes.
The Wilkins School has approved a budget to pay for Internet service and a portion of the network installation, however we are seeking donations to cover additional costs. Information on sending a donation will be posted ASAP.
The network will consist of wireless and wired Ethernet segments providing adequate capacity for users at the Center. A FOSS-based gateway device will be implemented to provide firewall, routing and other functions.
We hope to have the system up and running for the August InstallFest.
Below is a list of hardware and electrical supplies we need for the project. We are calling on all members and WPLUG participants to provide donations where possible.
Gateway Hardware (x86 platform) for use with FOSS firewall distro- Donation
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless AP and Router- Donation
- Linksys WRT54GL Wireless AP and Router - One (1) needed
- Linksys WAPPOE Power over Ethernet Kit - Two (2) needed
Wall-mount 19 in Equipment Rack- Purchased, DHK
Ethernet switch, 24 port, 19" rack mount- Purchased, DHK
CAT5e Patch Panel, 12 port, 19" rack mount- Donation
Power Strip, 19" rack mount- Purchased, DHK
- 8P8C "RJ45" CAT5e Ethernet Connectors - 30 to 40 needed
- Plenum-rated CAT5e Ethernet Cable 500 ft box/spool
- Plenum-rated RG-59 Coaxial Cable 300 ft spool
- Plenum-rated RG-6 Coaxial Cable 100 ft length
- EMT Conduit 3/4 to 1 inch size
- ENT Flex Conduit 3/4 inch size
- Flex Conduit (alum or steel) 3/4 inch size
- Conduit Fittings (for above)
- Electrical boxes
- Keystone Plates & Jacks for CAT5e and CATV
- Wiremold or equivalent cable management hardware (conduit, boxes, etc)
(More to come)
We are calling on individuals to assist with the installation at the Wilkins School. We need people with experience in the following areas:
- Running electrical conduit
- Pulling cable
- General mechanical fabrication
- "Helpful hands"
Volunteers must be comfortable with working in confined areas, climbing stairs and ladders, and working for power tools. Everyone is encouraged to participate, however those under the age of eighteen will not be permitted to perform work with risk of injury.
All volunteers will be required to sign a waiver releasing WPLUG and WSCC of liability.
If you would like to volunteer to assist with this project, please add your name below.
- David Kraus - Project Leader
- Greg Simkins
- Mike Semcheski
- Your name here