General User Meeting - April 14, 2007, 10a to 1p - CMU Newell Simon Hall 1507
Schedule for the Day
9:30am - Setup
10:15am - Business Meeting Starts
10:45am - Business Meeting Ends
11:00am - Featured Presentation "Rookie Mistakes"
12:00pm - Brief break for Pizza
12:30pm - Resume presenation
1:00pm - Finish clean up, everyone out
"Rookie Mistakes" by Beth Lynn Eicher
Linux is an incredibly powerful tool -- but that power comes at a cost.
It's frequently easy to make mistakes when deploying a Linux system that cause system crashes, poor performance, or leave the door wide open for those people who are less than scrupulous. What's worse, is that while many of the mistakes are easily made by beginning Linux administrators, they are frequently seen by advanced administrators too!
Beth Lynn Eicher will discuss some of these mistakes that are frequently made and how you can make sure that you don't suffer the same fate.
There will be an actual business meeting at this meeting. The main purpose of the meeting will be to take nominations for a vacant board position. In general, we hope to keep everything else VERY brief.
- Minutes from Previous Meeting
- Officer Reports
- Vice Chair
- Member at Large
- Committee Reports
- Open Source Picnic to be held this August
- Working on planning Bar Camp Pittsburgh
- Looking for speakers for upcoming meetings
- Public Relations
- Putting together a survey for WPLUG members
- Positive response from Prentice Hall and O'Reilly regarding books as prizes for people who take the survey
- Looking at events with other organizations such as TiE Pittsburgh. Happy hour possible for weeknight in late June at someplace in Station Square
- If you have submissions please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set a date of August 1 for disabling the old Penguin machine
- Looking at getting a managed hosting solution, such as VPS
- Speak up if you run services that need to be migrated
- Old Business
- Nominations for Treasurer
- New Business
Documents For Meeting
If you would like to volunteer to assist with this meeting, please add your name to one or more of the categories below.