Jump to: navigation, search

Venue Info[edit]

Meeting to be held at IBM Squirrel Hill at 7:30pm, on Tuesday, August 16th, 2016.


  • Renewal of USPS PO box.
  • List your item here
  • List your item here


The regular meeting of the WPLUG Board of Directors was held at 7:30pm on August 16th, 2016 at IBM Squirrel Hill.

In attendance were:

  • Vance Kochenderfer (Chair)
  • Terry Golightly (Treasurer)
  • Pat Barron (Secretary)

Not attending:

  • Justin Smith (Director at Large)
  • Joe Prostko (Vice Chair)

The meeting was called to order at 7:37pm.

The minutes of the previous (July 19th) board meeting were read. A correction was offered to the date of the prior meeting reflected in the minutes. The corrected minutes were approved.

Reports of officers:

Chair: Nothing to report.

Vice chair: Not present, left no report.

Secretary: WPLUG currently has 16 members, no memberships due to lapse through the end of September.

Treasurer: Checking account currently has a balance of $486.47. This includes one debit of $12.50 to Linode for VPS hosting. There is no other activity to report.

Director at large: Not present, left no report.

Reports of committees:

Program committee: We need to get things straightened out for the picnic this weekend, there has been almost no activity on the wiki page, so please update it with whatever you're planning to bring. We already authorized $60 for food, we will give it a couple of days for people to update the wiki, and then we can figure out what we need. The chair reminds everyone to RSVP for the picnic. Treasurer will need to get the money out of the bank before Thursday to purchase picnic supplies. There was some discussion of what to buy - final plans will depend on how many attendees we're expecting. We haven't had any luck getting speakers, Vance has one other person to try to see if he's available, we'll see how that pans out. If you know of anyone, please encourage them to consider speaking for us. Maybe nudge some of the Code and Supply people.

Technology Committee: No report.

Investigating Committee: No report.

Marketing and Communications Committee: Not available to report.

New business:

The Secretary moved to spend $106 to renew PO box for one year (the Chair seconded). There are multiple avenues available to pay.

We discussed the PO box audit form and the requirements for how the form must be filled out.

The question was called by the secretary (regarding the expenditure for renewal of the PO box), and the motion was adopted.

Terry suggests we finding out how other local user groups promote. Could we get a story on NPR? There is a show on VICE network called "Cyberwar", they have an investigative reporter who does stories on security. They have a contact address listed on their web site. We will ask the vice chair to consider contacting them. Maybe suggest they attend OLF.

Old business:


There being no further business, it was moved to adjourn the meeting. The motion was adopted. The meeting was adjourned at 8:21pm.